Building carport, shed, or garage can be a fantastic investment to add value and function to your home or property. While it is very tempting to go the DIY route, there are many pitfalls to doing any of this work yourself. Most homeowners do not have all of the necessary tools to complete the DIY project, meaning they will have to buy the tools or rent them out. Most homeowners also fail to realize that they do not possess adequate knowledge or skill to build the shed, carport, or garage properly. In the article below we’ll walk you through the benefits of hiring a licensed professional contractor to build your garage, shed, or carport for you. As you’ll soon realize, there are many benefits to hiring a professional rather than doing the work yourself.
7 Surprising Benefits of Hiring Professional Carport, Shed, and Garage Builders
1. Save Huge Amounts of Time – One of the biggest incentives to hiring a licensed contractor to build your garage, shed, or carport is to save yourself tons of time. Many homeowners start DIY projects only realize that they badly miscalculated how long the project would take to complete. Certified licensed contractors are highly efficient, skilled, and knowledgeable about sheds, carports, and garage projects. What might take a licensed contractor a week to build, could take a low-skilled DIYer months to complete. Don’t hassle yourself and your family by stubbornly attempting to complete a DIY project that you lack the skills or equipment to properly follow through on. Let a certified contractor save you tons of time that you could dedicate to doing something else you enjoy, like spending time with your family.
2. Your Homeowner’s Insurance Might Not Cover DIY Projects – If you hire a certified licensed contractor to build a garage, carport, or shed, then chances are highly likely that such a home addition would be covered by your homeowner’s insurance plan. What many people fail to realize is that DIY projects are often times not covered by homeowner’s insurance plans. That means if the DIY project is damaged, is built poorly, or causes systemic damage to your home during its construction, then chances are you will have to pay for any repairs straight out of your own pocket. Certified licensed work, however, is usually covered. So if a windstorm damages your carport, garage, or shed, you can file a claim and have the repairs done at the expense of your insurance company.
3. Hiring a Contractor is Cheaper – A simple fact that is shocking to most homeowners is that hiring a contractor to build their shed, garage, or carport is typically cheaper than DYing it. Licensed contractors are highly efficient at what they do, meaning they can complete the project quickly and with little waste. Contractors also have access to wholesale materials, whereas a DIYer will likely pay the retail cost for all of the parts and materials. Contractors also have all of the proper tools to get the job done. Renting or buying tools to finish the job yourself can be extremely expensive. Contact Sheds Lismoore for an affordable price quote today.
4. Building Warranties Are Transferable – Another huge benefit to hiring a contractor to build your shed, carport, or garage, is that the work will usually come with a certified and transferable warranty. The warranty usually covers both parts and labor. That means if you decide to sell your house after the project is completed, the next homeowner that comes along will have the peace of mind in knowing that the new home construction work is guaranteed. Ultimately, this will help you sell your home much more quickly, as the attractive warranty incentives will put prospective home buyers at ease.
5. The Project Will Last Longer – A shed, carport, or garage built by a professional contractor will likely last years longer or even decades longer than anything a DIYer will construct. A contractor knows how to build the project correctly. They also know the proper protocol to weatherproof it during the build, something that most homeowners will often overlook. Building a shed, carport, or garage doesn’t mean you walk away from the project after the last nail or screw is in place. Rather, there are many post-project weatherproofing and preservation tasks that should still be completed. A licensed certified contractor will carry out these weatherproofing tasks for you in a manner that means they’ll be done properly.
6. Contractors Will Use Quality Parts – One of the main reasons DIYers attempt to complete projects themselves is to save money. In line with that type of thinking, they will also usually buy subpar or cheap materials to further cut project costs. An experienced contractor knows that this is a really bad idea, especially when it comes to sheds, carports, and garages. These home additions are often exposed to harsh weather elements and need to be built with quality materials in order to last much longer. When you hire a professional builder to create your shed, garage, or carport, you can be nearly certain that they’ll be building the home project up to par with industry standards.
7. Most Contractors Offer Post – Project Services – Another great advantage of hiring a contractor to build your shed, carport, or garage is that they offer many post-project services. For example, if you need a consultation about an issue that has arisen, or you need any post-project repairs or maintenance done, these contractors can do the job for you. With DIY projects, you’re completely on your own and often times left in the dark on certain key issues. If for example, you want to weatherproof your carport, garage, or shed prior to a coming wind or rainstorm, a contractor can come out, assess the best ways to preserve your project investment, and then carry out the task. Some contractors even offer a limited number of post-project services for free, especially if a needed repair only takes minutes to complete.