Andhra Pradesh Engineering, Agriculture, Medical Common Entrance Test also known as AP EAMCET is required for the admission into some of the engineering and medical colleges in the state of Andhra Pradesh. It is completely conducted by the Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU) on behalf of The Andhra Pradesh State Council of Higher Education (ASPCHE) to select the deserving students for agricultural, medical and engineering courses provided by Andhra Pradesh colleges and universities. This examination is the prerequisite for admission into various Universities and Private Colleges in the states of Andhra Pradesh. The students who qualify the exam can choose courses like BDS, B.Pharm, BSc, Pharm.D., B.E, B.Tech, etc. from the colleges.
AP EAMCET currently uses Computer Based Exam modes, APSCHE has chosen to organise the examinations to be run in online mode only. It’s offered in both English and Telugu as test medium for carrying the entry test. Candidates who have analyzed through Urdu medium in the Class 12th qualifying examination are provided a option to get Urdu translation in the exam center. But this facility can be obtained only at some test centers at Kurnool.
There are several institutions that train candidates who would like to crack the exam all over Andhra Pradesh. The huge amount of fees charged by these institutions have raised concerns about education being unaffordable for many poor students. The EAMCET coaching industry is valuation is nearly INR 50 billion a year.
EAMCET eligibility criteria is set by APSCHE for candidates who would like to take admissions to engineering, medical and agriculture courses. The criteria are as follows :
- Candidates should be Citizen of India or Overseas Citizen of India
- Candidates must be residents of Andhra Pradesh or Telangana state and should meet the non-local or local status requirements by Educational Institutes in Andhra Pradesh under regulations set for admissions.
- Candidates must have passed the 10+2 level or will be appearing in the qualifying exam of intermediate of 10+2 degree or some other equivalent examination as evidenced by Board of Intermediate Education, Andhra Pradesh or even Telangana.
- For B.Tech admission candidate must have passed Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics along with bridge course exam in Mathematics conducted by Board of Intermediate Education, Govt of AP or Telangana only.
- For Pharm.D course, candidates must have obtained at least 45% marks in the qualifying examination and 40% if candidates belong to reserved category (SC/ST).
- In Physically handicapped criteria, 3% horizontal reservation in each category including (OC, SC, ST and BC) Visually Handicapped, Hearing Impaired and Orthopaedically Handicapped, where each are allocated 1% each.
- Children of Armed Personnel are also given reservation of 2%. Ex-Servicemen, Defence Personnel including the children of Central Reserve Police (CRPF) and the Border Security Force (BSF), who are permanent resident of Andhra Pradesh are only eligible to claim this reservation.
- Total of 1% for National Cadet Corps Candidates and 0.5% for Sports and Games candidates are given preference.
- Reservation of 33% is provided to women. That is in each category ⅓ rd number of seats are reserved for female candidates.
Total of 25% marks of the total marks is required to qualify the exam. However, for candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste(SC) and Scheduled Tribe(ST) have no minimum qualifying marks specified. But, their admission will be limited to the number of seats reserved for each categories.