Bed sheets are a simple and commonly purchased accessory for bedrooms. Their importance cannot be ignored as we spend most of our lives snuggling between the sheets. To get a good night’s sleep, it is important to choose the right bed sheet which suits our needs, lack of which can affect mental and physical health adversely and reduce our productivity.
Here are a few tips to make your bedsheet shopping a hassle-free experience –
- Know the material: The different materials of bedsheets are Flannel, cotton, Lyocell, silk, polyester, microfiber, bamboo, and silk. Cotton bed sheets are very popular and are perfect for the summer season. They are lightweight, easy to wash, durable, breathable, and get softer overtime. Flannel bed sheets are suitable for the winter season as they trap body heat and keep us warm. Bed sheets made from Lyocell are gaining attention due to their eco friendly and sustainable nature. They are highly durable, comfortable, and have a good cooling factor. Silk bed sheets are a luxurious option and are expensive compared to other materials available in the market. They are the perfect option for people suffering from allergies as silk is hypoallergenic by nature. Polyester is blended with other materials such as cotton to make budget friendly bed sheets. Microfibers are also polyester bed sheets which are woven finely. These sheets are highly durable, stain resistant and comfortable. Due to the recent shift towards sustainability, bamboo bed sheets are also gaining popularity. They are soft, comfortable, long-lasting, and anti-bacterial.
- Know the thread count: The thread count of a bed sheet is defined as the number of threads running horizontally and vertically per square inch of the fabric. Know the thread count of the bed sheet which you are planning to buy and if possible choose bed sheets which have thread count ranging between 200-800. The highest thread count bed sheets offer the best softness and are wrinkle-free, soft, and extremely comfortable. King size bed sheets available in the market commonly have a thread count of 220.
- Buy bed sheets of the right size: There are several factors to be kept in mind while shopping for bed sheets but the most important factor is to get the right size. They are available in several standard sizes- king size bed sheets, queen size bed sheets, and single bed sheets. Single bed sheets have a dimension of 150*220 cm and are perfect for single occupancy beds. King size bed sheets and queen size bed sheets commonly have dimensions of 270*250 cm and are suitable for beds which accommodate at least two people. It is important to keep the measurements of your bed ready while shopping for bed sheets to avoid bedtime problems and to get a great night of sleep.
- Know the variety of bed sheet weaves available in the market: Flannel, Percale, Sateen, pinpoint, Jersey, Two-ply, and single-ply are some of the commonly available types of weaves. Flannel sheets have a medium-heavy weight and are made of 100 percent cotton. They are ideal for the winter season because their fuzzy weave traps the body heat and keeps us warm and cozy. Percale weave bed sheets are lightweight, and have a smooth finish. Sateen bed sheets are well known for their smooth and lustrous finish and hence are fragile. Pinpoint bed sheets have a stitch pattern of two threads running over one another and are budget-friendly. Jersey bed sheets are popular among kids due to their soft and stretchy feel and are made of cotton-blend fibers. Single ply bed sheets are made of un-plied single threads and are soft whereas two-ply bed sheets are made of yarn plied from two threads and are heavy-duty.
- Know the fiber content: Bed sheets can be made from a variety of fibers such as natural, artificial, synthetic, and mixed blends. Bed sheets made from natural fibers such as cotton, wool, and silk are highly breathable. Artificial fibers are more soft and durable when compared to natural blends. Synthetic fiber bed sheets are perfect for a cold evening. They are made of polyester, acrylic and nylon produced mainly from petroleum-based chemicals. These fibers are wrinkle-free, and do not fade over time, unlike natural and synthetic fibers. Mixed Blends are made of a cotton-polyester blend and are the most popular option in the market. Such bed sheets resist wrinkles and retain their color even after several washes and also stay cool and crisp due to the cotton content.